Monday, March 05, 2007

Vienna, Melange and E-Voting

After four hours in a train I arrived in Vienna. What a lovely city. It was raining and cold, but even under this conditions this city is amazing. And after my first melange in a very modern cafe at the Museumsquartier the sun showed up and made a wonderful saturday.
I am here for working on a topic called e-voting at the competence center for e-voting. It is a rising topic on the political and technological agenda. Estonia (Euronews) yesterday allowed e-voting over the internet for the first time in a nation wide election and the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and Austria are thinking about a allowing the use of e-voting. I am still trying to understand the basics about e-voting. In my perspective it means voting by transmitting the vote via the internet from a computer which is placed somewhere.
There is a big discussion going on especially about the safety and the security of the voting principles, such as anonymity and privacy of the vote, but on the other hand auditability is required, too. Currently the Netherlands are facing a big negative media feedback regarding internet. I will keep you updated within the next days and weeks about the development of e-voting and my further impressions of Vienna. In between you can check out my pics on
flickr.com
Talk to you soon.

No comments: